Action 4 Health Uganda (A4HU) is a youth empowerment organization dedicated to mainstreaming young peoples' engagement in socio-economic development and promoting Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH). Its a locally registered NGO in Uganda.
A4HU advocates for the prioritization and provision of health services for young people at national and sub national level by supporting the establishment of a supportive socio-cultural, political and legal environment that protects young people's rights, and enables them to access health information, education and services that are gender sensitive and youth friendly. A4HU empowers young people to advocate for improved SRH services, socio-economic opportunities through engaging and influencing decision-making processes. This is done through capacity development, civic education, mentorship, and advocacy. For effectiveness and efficiency of our intervention models, the organization supports youth empowerment Centres (YECs) and youth clubs in leadership and organisational development, group management, life skills and sexuality education, as well as entrepreneurship and business development.
It works with young people aged 15-24 to:
- Promote the demand for and access to Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) information and youth-friendly services
- Advocate for the prioritization and provision of gender-sensitive and youth-friendly health services at national and sub-national level
- Create a favourable environment for the meaningful participation of young people at community and local level, and
- Advocate for improved and equal access for young people to socio-economic opportunities.
A4HU is currently implementing 3 projects in Uganda:
- The Family Planning Budget, and Policy Advocacy Agenda project in the districts of Mukono, Kamuli, Mityana, and Tororo (2018-2021)
- Improved Livelihoods Prospects for Young People in Rural East Africa focusing on Health, Agriculture, and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Mityana district, in consortium with Hanns R. Neumann Stiftung (HRNS), and Whave Solutions (2018-2021)
- The Empower Youth Project (2021-2024) is a scale up of the Socio Economic Empowerment Project that was implemented in the districts of Busia, Tororo, Mukono, Kampala, and Wakiso (2017-2020). The scale up phase has Kamuli district as an additional operational district.
The organisation also has a Youth Truck, a mobile, solar powered edutainment tool used during community and / or school mobilisation towards desired SRHR/ FP goals. It supports family planning by advocating for the prioritisation and provision of inclusive, and gender sensitive youth friendly health services, and socio-economic opportunities for young people using peer led, empowerment, and partnership models. From 2018 to 2020, A4HU reached 192,008 young people with SRHR/FP services and enabled over 1,000 to engage in meaningful economic activities.