In May 2018, DSW in partnership with Action 4 Health Uganda launched a new Youth Truck mobile facility with funding from the WERTGARANTIE Group. The Youth Truck is a proven methodology designed by the Centre for Health Market innovations and implemented by DSW since 2003. It is a mobile outreach service, which sensitizes youth on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), HIV/AIDS prevention and social economic empowerment in rural areas and urban slums, many of whom live in the far outer lying areas of Uganda including internally displaced.
The Youth Truck aims at positive behaviour change among the Youths through a variety of activities such as providing accurate health information on SRHR and other relevant topics, promoting positive behaviour and dispelling myths. The Youth Truck team works closely with Youth Empowerment Centres, Youth Clubs, and Peer Educators involved in providing SRHR information, education and services.
The Youth Truck gives access to information on various topics to young people. It combines a mobile approach with highly participatory and youth friendly methods including; health outreaches, edutainment during sports events, distributing IEC materials, role plays and town hall-style dialogues in which adolescent SRHR issues and relevant themes entrepreneurship skills training, life skills education and non-violent conflict resolution are addressed.
The Youth Truck is equipped with a solar system that powers a public address system through which its messages are broadcasted to a minimum effective radius of 150 meters from its location. This enables A4HU to take its services directly to target groups and to adapt them to the local services and needs. The Youth Truck is staffed by youth trainers; one of who doubles as a driver.
WHAT DOES IT DO?
- The Youth Truck supports the national and district, CSOs, youth clubs to mobilize young people around international and national health days.
- Mobilises young people to access quality SRH services
- The Youth Truck will support youths from hard to reach areas to access SRHR information through edutainment, verbal announcements and distribution of IEC materials during mobilization for events coordinated by either the District Local Government or Youth Clubs, thus ensuring a high number of participants at events.
- The Youth Truck gives access to information and non–formal education.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- It combines a mobile approach with highly participatory and youth friendly methods including; film shows, edutainment, games and sports activities, health outreach set, IEC materials, group work, role plays and discussions.
- Through edutainment, games and sports, the Youth Truck team engages the young people in discussions on SRHR, counselling and guidance, entrepreneurial skills, income generation, gender based violence, non-violent conflict resolution/peace education and life skills education.
WHAT DOES IT OFFER?
- Information on Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights
- Free demonstrations of Reproductive Health commodities
- Sexual Reproductive Health community medical outreach
- Screening of community videos on Sexual Reproductive Health
For More Information:
Action 4 Health Uganda
Plot 17, Nazziba Rise, Lubowa Hill
P.O. Box 33900, Kampala, Uganda.
T: +256 414 200 801 / +256 392 002 471
Fax: +256 414 200 815